[mythtv-users] Stupid overscan question

Ben Dash ben_dash at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 9 14:25:19 EST 2005

--- chris wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 09, 2005 at 08:36:09AM -0800, Ben Dash
> wrote:
> > Could someone please explain to me how overscan
> works?
>
> There's two types of overscan...
>
> > I'm using the nv driver for my xBox and the top of
> the
> > displayed screen is a little narrower than the
> bottom,
> > i.e. the bottom reaches the screen edge and the
> top is
> > inset a little.
>
> Positioning problems are more properly fixed by
> altering the modeline
> timings to reduce the retrace delay.  If you apply a
> constant overscan,
> by the time you get the top of the image to the top
> of the screen you
> will lose far too much off the bottom of the image.
> I don't know if
> the XBox driver supports custom modelines or not.

Good advice.  I found this page noting a whole load of
modeline options and will try some out tonight:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Xorg_HDTV

Thanks!

|Ben Dash                                           |
|Ask free questions - http://bensqanda.blogspot.com |
|My Blog -    http://bensdailythoughts.blogspot.com |
|Info -  http://bensinformationstation.blogspot.com |
|Workouts -        http://bensworkouts.blogspot.com |