[mythtv-users] Re: HDTV digital static with DVB

sean.walsh at agincourtgroup.com.au sean.walsh at agincourtgroup.com.au
Wed Nov 9 06:34:41 EST 2005

> I chased video glitches from my DVB setup for ages, and with a lot of
> help from the list, I finally nailed it. It was the Si 3112 SATA
> controller chip doing nasties on the PCI bus and corrupting the mpeg
> stream from the DVB card.

I've recently had a similar issue migrating to FC4 and a new 300gb SATA
drive.  I was getting the same "poor reception"
on DVB when the SATA drive was working hard. I was able to confirm that it

was the SATA drive alone through experimentation under my prior FC3
set-up.

My motherboard (gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro) has two pairs of SATA connectors -
one
pair near the edge of the card (and adjacent the outer most PCI slots -
where my DVB cards are) and another pair near the CPU socket.  The pairs
use
different SATA controllers - one a Sil3512 and the other nVIDIA nForce3
250.

I observed a vast improvement just by swapping to the pair furthest from
the
DVB cards (nForce3).  I still get occasional interference artefacts at
times
of high IO - but I'm hoping to play with shielding to resolve this. The 2
controllers are pretty much right next to each other but the Sil3512
controller that serves the outside pair is also a little closer to the DVB

cards slots.  I don't know whether proximity to the DVB cards or the
chipset
is to blame for the interference.

Does anyone have any suggestions for effective shielding of either the
cards
for the SATA controller/cables?