[mythtv-users] Backup LVM group (kinda OT)

Chris Trown ctrown at safe-mail.net
Tue Nov 8 11:27:22 EST 2005

James Oltman wrote:
> I am getting my hands on a slightly used DDS4 external SCSI tape drive.
> I am also getting about 7 tapes.  I have a SCSI card already.  I would
> like to back up my video files on my Myth BE.  I am currently having one
> or more of these three issues.  I am using an ATI Radeon 7000 AGP card.
> I think the drivers I have might be causing the system to lock up.  I
> might have shoddy RAM as well.  But the most plausible explanation could
> be the severely under powered PSU.  It's only 380W for 3 120GB drives
> and one 80GB drive.  I also have a DVD burner running off it as well.
> In any case, my BE is not recording shows anymore.  I would like to
> start with a fresh Fedora Core 3 install.(Primarily because I hear FC4
> has some issues).  What kind of problems am I going to see adding a SCSI
> card to this setup?  Is there any easy way to install or user friendly
> software I can use to copy all my data to these tapes?  i figure that 7
> x 40 is 280GBs.  Much more than I currently need but more than I have in
> available space on other HDDs.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!
>
> Jim
>
> BTW:
>
> Current Kernel is 2.6.10.1-776

      If you suspect bad RAM, use memtest86, http://www.memtest86.com to
map the bad RAM.  The system can then be configured to completely avoid
using it.

      As far as using SCSI, there should be no problem, unless you have
some sort of exotic, proprietary SCSI controller.  The drives will show
up as /dev/sdaX and the tape will be /dev/stX.

      Underpowered PSUs can manifest themselves in many, strange ways.
You are saying you might have bad RAM *and* a bad video card.  Couple
that with the power draw from drives, fans, CPU and you could very well
be having issues with the PSU.  Just because the label says 380Watts,
does not mean it's true.  Tom's Hardware did a revue of PSUs a while ago
and they found that most PSUs don't supply their rated power.

      In any event, look into the PSU issue.  PSUs can fail
spectacularly, taking out *everything* connected to it.  I know, it's
happened to me.  :(  I ignored the warning signs and lost it all.

      As far as backup software, I can't recommend anything.  Take a
look at www.freshmeat.net and see what they have on offer.

      I agree with you on the Core4 issue.  Tried it but went back to
Core3 when too many strange things popped up.  It still needs some
baking time.

Chris...

--
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little
temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" -- Benjamin