[mythtv-users] Tivo/Yahoo deal - How convenient!

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Mon Nov 7 12:25:54 EST 2005

On Monday 07 November 2005 11:53, James C. Dastrup wrote:
> Although the Yahoo portal for your Tivo is new, this feature, with the
> minimum 1-hour in advance,
> has been around for a while at tivo.com.  Slowly, the canned and
> subscription DVR's are
> listening to what people really want.  But I don't understand why they
> won't just put a simple
> web interface on their own devices.
> MCE has a similar feature - logon to msn.com and schedule a recording,
> but no remote access
> directly to your MCE from a browser.
> Reasons like this are why we all love our MythTV.

I'd say it's pretty likely that the lack of a web interface in 'canned'
DVR appliances has more to do with security/liability issues.  It's
much more secure for the DVR to query a remote web site every hour than
it is to have an open web server running on the DVR appliance.  After
all, the average consumer may not have a firewall, etc, etc...

Imagine the negative publicity and possible lawsuits that would arise if
a default web server configuration on a Tivo or MCE was found to have
an exploitable security flaw?

At least with MythWeb, the user has to set up & configure their own web
server.  It's not much of a hurdle, but at least any security issues
are entirely the user's own responsibility.

-JAC