[mythtv-users] Cheap media diy build

Rob Bongiovi rbongiovi at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 5 09:54:44 EST 2005

I have two combo frontend/backends based on this
biostar 210V system. I have found that with a 400Mhz
FSB XP 3000+ I can easily playback HDTV - but not with
a 333Mhz FSB one, so be careful. (I have a third
backend that records the HDTV).

In my setup one of these has an PVR-150 and the other
has a PVR-500. Both work fine. I also installed a
FX5200 graphics card in each because I wanted to drive
my HDTVs via DVI-HDMI. Even with all of that, I have
no cooling problems at all.

I only have one HD in each, but there is room for at
least one more. I have a DVD reader in each.

Space is tight during the install, especially when
installing the processor cooler, but other than that,
it was VERY easy (I did the 2nd one in less that 1/2
an hour). It doesn't auto-detect anything, so make
sure you read the manual and set the jumpers
correctly.

Pretty quiet, some "rattle" of the case until you get
the screws tightened "just right"

I highly recommend these - I bought a second to
replace another computer because it worked so well
(and the other had terrible cooling problems).

I bought both of mine from newegg...without the drives
and tuner cards, I figure $350 USD is what I paid
(Barebone system (~$150), memory (~$50),
processor(~$100), graphics card (~$50))

Rob

http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductsList.asp?Name=diy+media+centre