[mythtv-users] Can't see whole picture on playback or live TV

ffrr ffrr at tpg.com.au
Fri Nov 4 20:12:24 EST 2005

Nick wrote:

>On 04/11/05, ffrr <ffrr at tpg.com.au> wrote:
>

>>Initially, the bottom 10% or more is missing, a bit too much to ignore.
>>I tried adjusting the overscan/underscan in the playback setup section,
>>but it doesn't seem to do what I expected. When I set it to about 10%,
>>the top and bottom 5% or more of the picture are missing.  In other
>>words, making the overscan positive, makes the missing bits symetrical
>>but doesn't really get me to see any more.
>>
>>I should mention that this is a widescreen picture I am looking at, on a
>>4:3 TV.  So there is ample room (black space) above and below the
>>picture on the actual TV screen.  I just can't get it to show it.
>>

>Are you able to adjust the overscan settings in your video card setup
>(aside from mythfrontend)? Making the adjustments in your xorg.conf
>may help.

OK, I will research how to do this. I don't believe I have edited
xorg.conf directly before. I just took a quick look and didn't see any
overscan settings mentioned.  Are there commands to add, or do you mean
I should adjust the modeline (something else I haven't tried before).

Actually I am confused about what controls what here, because I had an
idea that a file called XF86Config-4 or something like that, defined how
the X system worked.

>Do you have any problems viewing the desktop, or is this
>just limited to video playback in MythTV?
>
>Nick

The desktop, and indeed myth's own GUI seems OK.  It seems to be just
the actual video playback.