[mythtv-users] Can't see whole picture on playback or live TV

ffrr ffrr at tpg.com.au
Fri Nov 4 20:05:21 EST 2005

Michael T. Dean wrote:

> ffrr wrote:
>
>> Initially, the bottom 10% or more is missing, a bit too much to
>> ignore.  I tried adjusting the overscan/underscan in the playback
>> setup section, but it doesn't seem to do what I expected. When I set
>> it to about 10%, the top and bottom 5% or more of the picture are
>> missing.  In other words, making the overscan positive, makes the
>> missing bits symetrical but doesn't really get me to see any more.
>>
>> I should mention that this is a widescreen picture I am looking at,
>> on a 4:3 TV.  So there is ample room (black space) above and below
>> the picture on the actual TV screen.  I just can't get it to show it.
>

> Did you try cycling through zoom and fille modes with 'w'?

Just tried it then.  16:9 zoom, and Fill, come a lot closer but still a
bit is missing.  For example, recall the Paramount Pictures logo at the
start of a movie. The one with a mountain peak with a circle of white
stars around it.  In normal mode, both a bit of top of the circle, and a
lot of the bottom are missing, when overscan is set to 0.   When I use w
and get to Fill, for example, the top is visible, but the bottom is
cut-off.  With a bit of fiddling with overscan I could get this mode to
work I think, but I really want to get normal widescreen (letterbox) to
work.