[mythtv-users] manual scheduling -> "no upcoming recordings"

Greg Estabrooks greg at phaze.org
Fri Nov 4 19:04:50 EST 2005

>     message burned in to your TV from it being displayed all the time.
>
> I'm not -using- a remote control right now; I'm using a keyboard,
> because I'm trying to get the box set up.  Because mythtv-setup is

 Agreed. Its going to be rare that  remote will be used with mythtv-setup,
but the UI is general kept consistant with the rest of the APP/Plugins,
including the M(Menu) (I)Info and (D)Delete , etc buttons.

> that everyone's using a remote.  They might not even have installed
> LIRC yet.  Burying functionality is a bad idea.

 The problem is that while we can add more visual clues to the screen for
the more common functions there just isn't enough for everything. Especailly
since every user uses a different resolution and overscan settings.

 I'm sure a "Help" popup showing the available controls would be helpful
however.

> only brings up TWO choices?  "Delete" or "Edit".  Are you telling me
> that it was -so- important to separate these choices at all, instead

 Because those are the only options added to that menu.  When
more relevant options are added they go into the menu.

> the -only- point of even -having- M in the interface (as opposed to
> Return, which calls up the menu even if you've never heard of M) is
> to enable one single option---Delete, since the only option is "Edit",

 It's called consistancy. Menu is used in many places. And before you
jump up with a "where are they? I can't see them" response you already
know that you at this stage need to learn by tryig it, reading howtos
and keys.txt.

> [And you can't argue that M is usable everywhere.  I just tried it in
> a very similar-looking list, namely the "Input connections" screen,

 It's would not make sense to have a Menu for a single options I'm sure
you would agree. If a additional option became available a Menu would be
added.

> Currently, MythTV's configuration system looks like the "Bad Example"
> section of any book on user interface design.  Class, let's review:

 Then get to it, or try to encourage those who have the ability to
do the work. But to do that would require a less "YOU SUCK, EVERYTHING YOU DO
SUCKS" position. And while I understand that may not be your intent it is
how your posts come off.

>     [I deleted the fifth card---why is ivtv still bitching about it?]

 Well the fact that you havn't posted a couple of lines showing that error
makes it hard for someone to help you. If it's remove from myth and you
are seeing an error it is more  likely and initscript/Knoppmyth related
issue.  Post the actual error and maybe someone can help with it.

> I must admit, I'm baffled by some of the apparent hostility here
> towards improving the user interface.  Sure, call me abrasive, call me

 That is exactly why. You are approaching a group of generally friendly,
helpful volunteers who give a LOT of their time to make the app, and help
out users even when the issue isn't actually myth caused with  an agressive,
arrogant and demanding attitude when you have no legitimate "right" to be
so.

> To give up in disgust?  To assume they must be stupid because it takes
> them ages to get anything working?

 Don't be an ass. Noone is rejecting anything that would help the users
nor intentionally making their lives harder. But so far other than to
stand on a pedistal and declare the UI not worthy of you.

> total.  Most of the really bad ones are probably 10-line or 1-line
> fixes.  A lot of them are fixable simply by adding a single English
> sentence to something.

 If it's so trivial then get to coding. And don't try and pull the "I need
6 months to get familiar with the code base" crap. It's not that complicated
for just  simple UI changes.

> the problems, you're not going to -get- them by yelling at them and
> dismissing their problems.  Why the hell should I or anyone else waste

 And if you expect devs to turn around and change code or implement new
"features" then approach them with less of a "I'm better than you. God ,
can't you people SEE the problems" way of talking.  I'm sure it's
not what you mean to portray but it is how you come off.