[mythtv-users] Re: A warning about Samsung HDDs

Tony Lill ajlill at ajlc.waterloo.on.ca
Fri Nov 4 13:47:58 EST 2005

I was kind of hoping for a guideline like each spinup is equavalent to
X hour of idle spinning. You can do the math for power consuption, but
I guess that wear and tear is a bit more difficult.

I was looking at the specs for one of my drives and couldn't find a
lifetime in hours or mtbf, but it did say "Contact Start/Stop Cycles
50,000 minimum". If by that they mean spinup cycles, then if I wanted
it to last 10 years, I should limit spinups to less than 87600hr/50000
or every 1.7hr minimum, or, say, less than 10-15 per day. Probably way
too simplistic analysis, but hey.