[mythtv-users] Usability Issues: WAS Re: Simultaneous recordings fail spectacularly [SOLVED!]

R. Geoffrey Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Fri Nov 4 12:42:28 EST 2005

On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 21:48:08 -0500 (EST), f-myth-users at media.mit.edu wrote:

>SOLVED!  (And man, somebody ain't gonna like -this-... :)
>How could this happen?  Because mythtv-setup is the absolute -mother-
>of all usability screwups. >We can do better.  I'm sure we can.  And the first step do doing
>better is to admit that we have a problem.
>
>Thanks for listening.

Thank you for opening this can of worms. I thought it was just me. Glad to
know I'm not alone.
I've been fighting with 'little stuff' for some time without much progress
using hardware that *should* work without problems, but doesn't.

I will add that I have been pissed at the damn stupid mouseless pages too.
Especially as, no matter what sizes I set, the bottom of the page is
always off the bottom of the screen...

And here is another really annoying thing:  that mythtv-setup runs off at
various places and trys to run mythfilldatabase.... which hangs for about
9 minutes it your are not connected to the internet. And it does that in
places which are not expected.

Worse yet, doing that often destroys the existing data.

I'm trying to get this working both at the office (DSL but no cable TV)
and at home (no DSL but cable TV). And losing the lineup is really a pain.

Mythtv-setup should allow you to keep or re-load a lineup. And should
always explicitly ask before commencing to try a downoad..AND BTW should
allow/provide for an external load (so I can update here at work, and take
a CDRW home with the new information...)

I looked at the code last night and .... I would need a lot of time to
figure out what is going on.

We CAN do better.
If someone points me to the right place in the code, at least I can
provide some pseudocode for the logical structure which *I* think is
needed at various places. (Probably the wrong structure on the first pass,
but a place to start.)

Geoff

R. Geoffrey Newbury                          newbury at mandamus.org
Barrister and Solicitor                         Telephone: 905-271-9600
Mississauga,Ontario, Canada              Facsimile:   905-271-1638