[mythtv-users] Re: Is gentoo the way to go?

cwatson at linkline.com cwatson at linkline.com
Thu Nov 3 19:57:15 EST 2005

Ben Edwards writes:

> I have been having various problems installing MythTV. My prefered option is
> Ubuntu Breezy but I cant get that woring (c other email). I have also had
> some luck with KnoppixMyth whitch is great at getting a basic system
> running. However getting everything working properly is a nightmare as there
> are no consistent usable sources. You are not meant to do a apt-get
> dist-upgrade, even upgrade is problematic. I cant even get the dependencies
> for nuv2disc without getting into dependency hell!.
>
> I am thinking gentoo may be the answer but how stable is it and how
> difficult to set up (I have compiled a few kernels).
>
> Ben
>
> --
> Ben Edwards - Bristol, UK, England
> WARNING:This email contained partisan views - dont ever accuse me of using
> the veneer of objectivity
> If you have a problem emailing me use
> http://www.gurtlush.org.uk/profiles.php?uid=4
> (email address this email is sent from may be defunct)

You certainly are free to use whatever disto you want...  After the release
of Debain Stable, Unstable (on which KnoppMyth is built), was in a bit of a
flux.  In a way, KnoppMyth should be thought as an appliance.  Why
dist-upgrade if you don't have to?  While our own repository is a
possibilty, we are a 3 man development team and can only do so much in our
spare time.

While I cannot speak for KnoppixMyth, but KnoppMyth _already_ includes
nuv2disc (thanks Jams!).

Regards,

Cecil