[mythtv-users] Re: Is gentoo the way to go?

greg at nodecam.com greg at nodecam.com
Thu Nov 3 11:22:44 EST 2005

> Mike Frisch wrote:
>
>>The whole 'advantage' of Gentoo is being able to customize it to your
>>system,
>>
> I thought it was "bragging rights."
>
> Mike

I know you're only poking a little fun, but seriously...There are the
gentoo "ricers" out there who think that they're getting some extra
mythical performance out of their system, but there are legitimate reasons
to use gentoo that have nothing to do with that.

The lack of cruft (as previously mentioned) and the fact that library
version problems are virtually gone are big advantages.  I find it much
easier to keep my gentoo system security patched than I remember my
Debian/RedHat systems used to be.

I ran OpenBSD over the last five years, and I think my Gentoo system is
more secure, only because I apply security patches right away because it's
so much easier.

http://funroll-loops.org/ is hilarious by the way.

Greg