[mythtv-users] Re: Is gentoo the way to go?

Ben Edwards funkytwig at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 10:52:17 EST 2005

On 11/3/05, Myth Lists <mlists at dressler.ca> wrote:

> Mike Frisch wrote:
>
> >On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 10:26:17AM -0500, Myth Lists wrote:
> >

> >>Have I missed something or do they have pre-compiled packages hiding
> >>somewhere??
> >>

> >You can do a 'stage3' installation which has precompiled binaries for
> >most of the base system. See the installation handbook for details.
> >
> >The whole 'advantage' of Gentoo is being able to customize it to your
> >system, hence the reason for compiling on YOUR system. I lost interest
> >in that and have migrated all 3 of my Gentoo installs over to Ubuntu.

What version of ubuntu? what card?

Ben

> I might try a stage3 install when I have some time. I run pure Debian
> on my main backend system. Was running Mepis and have tried FC4, Ubuntu
> and slackware. I have Ubuntu on my Notebook running without problems.
>
> Too many distros -- I need to settle on one and make them all that way :)
>
> Norm

Ben Edwards - Bristol, UK, England
WARNING:This email contained partisan views - dont ever accuse me of using
the veneer of objectivity
If you have a problem emailing me use
http://www.gurtlush.org.uk/profiles.php?uid=4
(email address this email is sent from may be defunct)