[mythtv-users] Is gentoo the way to go?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 09:48:22 EST 2005

On 11/3/05, greg at nodecam.com <greg at nodecam.com> wrote:
> > I am thinking gentoo may be the answer but how stable is it and how
> > difficult to set up (I have compiled a few kernels).
>
> After having not used linux in 5 years or so, I got back into it by
> embarking on a Myth/Gentoo project.  If you're not afraid of compiling a
> kernel, Gentoo is a snap to set up Myth on.  Follow the install
> documentation, and make sure you hit the kernel options you need, and you
> shouldn't have any problems.  I don't see a lot of Gentoo users on here
> asking for help, even though I know there are a lot of gentoo myth
> installs out there.
>
> Portage is a wonderful tool.
>
> Greg

I'm a Gentoo user...

I have Gentoo running two backend server, 4 frontend only boxes, and a
couple more PCs where I occasionally watch TV. I run Celeron, P4-HT,
Athlon and AMD64 systems. They all work great.

I've been using Gentoo for a couple of years now. It's great never
having to make the FC1/FC2/FC3/FC4/FC5/FC6 jumps. Gentoo boxes are
always s up to date as you want them to be. No worrying about where
the next RPM is coming from. You just build code every so often.

NOTE: I am not a computer scientist. I am not an IT guy. I do not
program. I can run Gentoo and so can anyone willing to invest a little
bit of time to learn how the system works. It's very a solid
environment with relatively few wrinkles.

- Mark