[mythtv-users] Is gentoo the way to go?

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Thu Nov 3 08:07:24 EST 2005

There seems to be a lot of gentoo users here!  I have found gentoo easy
enough to set up for a pure myth only box (twice, was running only one
week and HW failure!) but I have built many gentoo systems previously.
There are howtos for myth, lists, docs and user forums are excellent
(best of any distro Ive seen).  Dont let them tell you it takes forever
to build a gentoo system: do a stage 3 binary install and its quite fast
for the install portion - its configuration that takes a while.  Nothing
difficult though.  Read the docs first, and follow the recommendations -
one foot in front of the other - best linux learning experience there
is.

Stability is often far better than a binary distro, especially when
"fiddling" by installing things.  And if it breaks it can almost always
be recovered unless you dd'd the whole disk!

Downside:  If inexperienced, and you dont follow the install
instructions, things can/will go off the rails.  Watch the funky LIRC
install.  In many cases such as some myth and dvb packages you need to
go to ~x86 to get them compile.  Definitely a QA problem there.

Its myth, TV cards, lirc and finding out about this whole PVR phenomonen
thats hard - gentoo is dead easy by comparison.

BillK

On Thu, 2005-11-03 at 12:36 +0000, Ben Edwards wrote:
> I have been having various problems installing MythTV.  My prefered
> option is Ubuntu Breezy but I cant get that woring (c other email).  I
> have also had some luck with KnoppixMyth whitch is great at getting a
> basic system running.  However getting everything working properly is
> a nightmare as there are no consistent usable sources.  You are not
> meant to do a apt-get dist-upgrade, even upgrade is problematic.  I
> cant even get the dependencies for nuv2disc without getting into
> dependency hell!.
>
> I am thinking gentoo may be the answer but how stable is it and how
> difficult to set up (I have compiled a few kernels).
>
> Ben
>
> --
> Ben Edwards - Bristol, UK, England
> WARNING:This email contained partisan views - dont ever accuse me of
> using the veneer of objectivity
> If you have a problem emailing me use
> http://www.gurtlush.org.uk/profiles.php?uid=4
> (email address this email is sent from may be defunct)
Home!