[mythtv-users] performance problem on old PC

Todd Houle thoule at wesleyan.edu
Wed Nov 2 18:32:02 EST 2005

I have been raving about MythTV to a friend of mine who finally
decided to try it himself.  He had an old PC (1GHz Dell GX150) and 2
old tuner cards (avermedia and hauppauge win-Tv).  I don't know the
details of the cards other than they both use the bt878 chips.

We installed KnoppMyth as that is what he heard about elsewhere.
KnoppMyth detected everything perfectly and ran great.  I added the
cards in Myth-setup, but we couldn't use it happily.  There was a 1
second pause, for every second of live tv...  I guess these cards
don't have hardware MPEG encoders on them and the computer couldn't
handle the load..  I lowered the quality way down, but still couldn't
get a smooth playback..

I told him to get a better computer, or a TV card that supports
hardware encoding.  Was I right?  or was there something else I could
have done?

  thanks
     Todd