[mythtv-users] Tuner card label - patch in progress but assistance requested

match at ece.utah.edu match at ece.utah.edu
Wed Nov 2 16:55:12 EST 2005

On 2 Nov 2005 at 12:19, Michael T. Dean wrote:

> device number != card number
>
> Device number is a number used by the kernel to access the device.  Card
> number is used by Myth to associate settings with devices.
>
> >Not so fast, bucko! This was still not correct. Setting up the backend, the two
> >Hauppauge cards had magically become 1 and 2 again, and the HD3000 is 32!
> >

> card number = cardid

Thanks Mike. Yeah, even if you don't know this, (I didn't. At least it didn't come to mind
while I was trying to do a fresh install late at night, after a grueling day of work) you get
a feel for it once you've done the exercise. I've done a dozen or so installs, but this was
the first with multiple cards, and the first with an HD3000, so it threw me.

And having done a dozen-ish installs with single capture cards, this "issue" , if it is one,
never came up. So I wasn't looking for it, and didn't recognize what was happening.

> cardid is a sequence number assigned by MySQL (autoincrement).  That
> means that you probably set up and deleted quite a few cards to get your
> HD-3000 working...

Hmmm... certainly not 32 times!

In any case, since device number, card number, and cardid are all numbers, unless you
have an intimate understanding of what's actually going on during each step of an
install, there is room to become confused. I would never admit to anyone outside this
group that I got bit by the confusion bug.  :-)

Marvin