[mythtv-users] Mythtv on Xbox

Ben Dash ben_dash at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 2 11:30:46 EST 2005

--- Tom Lichti wrote:
> chris at cpr.homelinux.net wrote:
> >On Tue, Nov 01, 2005 at 09:49:30PM -0500, Tom
> Lichti wrote:
> >>Can you post your /etc/apt/sources.list please? I
> can't seem to get all
> >>dependencies met, specifically libqt3c102-mt.
> >>

> >That package has caused me no end of grief.  Debian
> ("testing", I
> >think) has decided to drop support for the XFree86
> xserver and have
> >transition packages in place to force people to
> switch to XOrg (ie:
> >you ask for one server but get the other).  As part
> of that forced
> >upgrade, libqt3c102-mt has been replaced by
> libqt3-mt.  The new
> >libqt3-mt is not backwards compatible (according to
> the
> >depends/provides list).  Similarly, rather than
> creating an in-place
> >upgrade for MythTV, the libqt3-mt version is a
> whole new package that
> >conflicts with the libqt3c102-mt version, requiring
> you to uninstall
> >MythTV before the upgrade and then reinstall
> afterwards.  So far only
> >the core MythTV packages (front, back, common, doc,
> database and web)
> >are available, so after the upgrade you don't have
> mythvideo,
> >mythdvd, etc.
> >
> >My back-end and mythweb server are working just
> fine, but the XBox
> >doesn't have a video driver for XOrg and my desktop
> machine (Radeon
> >card) runs everything else and handles the MythTV
> menus OK but locks
> >the machine up solid if I try to watch any
> recordings.  The backend
> >machine can't run nuvexport as it gets into a loop
> waiting for
> >mythtranscode to setup the fifos.  I don't have any
> idea what that's
> >all about.
> >

> Well that kind of sucks. I guess my Xbox will just
> be for games then,
> since if it's not fully functional as a Myth
> frontend, then it's not
> useful at all.
>
> Darn it.
I'm using my xBox as a fully functional mythfrontend,
except for the remote control which I can't seem to
get working at the moment.

It was fairly easy using Gentoo, although I had a near
vertical learning curve to implement a diskless xBox
mythfrontend where I leave the HDD untouched to ensure
that I can still play native games.

It's very early days, I just completed the project
last night, but I don't expect any problems.  My wife
was out of town for the past couple of weeks and this
was a surprise for her.  A couple of days ago I had
thought that I wouldn't be able to complete it but
everything came together when I switched from a 2.4.31
to a 2.6.12.5 kernel.  I have only slept an average of
4 hours per night for the past week and a half but
it's finally done and I'm sure she'll be very happy
with it.  If only I could get that lirc working!

|Ben Dash                                           |
|Ask free questions - http://bensqanda.blogspot.com |
|My Blog -    http://bensdailythoughts.blogspot.com |
|Info -  http://bensinformationstation.blogspot.com |
|Workouts -        http://bensworkouts.blogspot.com |