[mythtv-users] Possible Hardware Configuration

Carl Fongheiser carlfongheiser at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 23:18:50 EST 2005

On 11/1/05, Erik J. Soballe <soballe at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey everyone,
>
> Just wondering what you guys thought of this setup.
>
> 2 PVR-150 (low profile version)
> 512 mb pc 2700 ram
> 250 gb 7200 rpm ata 100 hard drive
> Athlon 800 (soon to be replaced by an Athlon XP 1700+)
> Antec Minuet case
> Asus A7V-400 Mx micro-atx motherboard
> Geforce 5200(low profile) (for tv out)
>
> What do you guys think about this setup? Specifically, is it
> ridiculously hard to configure the pvr-150s? Also will this CPU allow
> me to watch live tv and encode at the same time? How about playback?
> Is the 5200 a good card for TV out? Anyone have experiences with this
> motherboard/chipset? Thanks in advance.

Several comments:

The Athlon 800 is going to be a bit slow for watching Live TV and playback,
unless you manage to get XvMC working. (I haven't had much luck there,
myself.)

I'd rethink the motherboard -- VIA chipsets have been known to have problems
with high-throughput PCI cards like the PVR-150's. On a full-size ATX
motherboard, you can sometimes get things to work better by moving the cards
around in the slots, but that's less feasible with a microATX motherboard.
Other mainstream chipsets don't have this problem.

I'm using a GeForce 5200 for TV output, and it's working fine.

Otherwise, you should be fine.

Carl Fongheiser