[mythtv-users] Getting good audio sync in nuvexport/transcodings w/cutlist?

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Tue May 31 23:09:38 UTC 2005

On Tue, May 31, 2005 at 01:56:09PM -0700, john sturgeon wrote:
> Re: audio sync: Welcome to my world.  It's incredibly frustrating, and
> only happens with 720p material. After transcode, my audio loses step
> with video at about the rate of 850ms/hour of programming.  Very
> consistent, very repeatable.  I have absolutely no solution.  Sorry to
> respond with a 'meee toooo' but I'd love to hear if somebody has an
> answer.
>
> Re: transcode speed: What transcode paramaters are you using?  Are you
> resizing?  I get very acceptable transcode speeds with 720p material
> using ffmpeg (from transcode).  I can't remember the fps off the top
> of my head, but I think it's roughly 30fps.

I am not resizing, and doing everythign else to be as fast as possible,
ie. no noise filter, no crop, no resize, no deint (of course).

4 to 5 fps for xvid (effectively unusuable unless I have 2 days to
burn just to get out of sync audio) and about 20fps for divx (more
tolerable.)

I wasn't sure if the sync errors were gradual with time or caused by
cutlist block removal.

One way I could make this work is if I could get mpeg2cut to work on
my 720p recordings.   Then I could transocde the results myself with
mencoder.   Or so I think, I haven't yet tried things this large.

Or I could encode without the cutlist as a test, but there are 76 minutes
of material to cut, which is quite wasteful.