[mythtv-users] nvidia card on a budget suggestions

Lonnie Borntreger myth at borntreger.com
Tue May 31 21:03:47 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-31 at 14:29 -0600, Garry Cook wrote:
> On 5/31/05, Lonnie Borntreger <myth at borntreger.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2005-05-31 at 10:58 -0700, Fedor Pikus wrote:
> > > If you want "HD-out", i.e. component TV-out, your choices start with
> > > GeForce 6200, which go for just over $100. Otherwise, there are many
> > > Geforce 5700 or even 5200 with TV-out (SVideo and composite) and dual
> > > DVI/VGA, like this one:
> >
> > Whatever you do, stay away from the 5200.  I bought one, and had nothing
> > but trouble (system lock-ups, oopses, crashes, etc).  Went to the nVidia
> > forums and everyone there was saying that it is a complete POS, even in
> > Windows.  So, I ebay'd a Ti4200 and it's been beautiful ever since.  I
> > had been using a GeForce2 GTS with no problems until the fan failed and
> > the GPU fried.
> >
> > Lonnie Borntreger
>
> Funny. I've never had any trouble with my 5200. It's fanless, and I
> picked it up on ebay for $50. Granted, I'm not using it for HDTV
> (although I plan to eventually), so maybe that's the issue. Normally I
> would say that you really shouldn't make a statement like the one you
> started with above, just based on your own experience. However, if it
> is true that many others you've spoken with are also having issues,
> perhaps I just got lucky.

Note that I didn't say it was a POS.  I said that everyone on the nVidia
forums said it was (and mine was a XFX card).  Perhaps the many versions
of driver updates since then resolved the issues with the card.

And for Mike: I'm not doing HD, I was just mentioning this as a "general
statement"(tm) not as a HD qualification.

Lonnie Borntreger