[mythtv-users] nvidia card on a budget suggestions

gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman) glandix at lloydnet.org
Tue May 31 19:42:02 UTC 2005

Egeekial wrote:
> Well, I'm not dealing with HD, so I couldn't tell you about that. I can
> tell you, though, that I tried using an old Geforce 256 DDR card in my
> Mythbox with very little luck (overlay problems, freezing, no hardware
> acceleration).

hmm, i had a GeForce2 MX w/ S-Vid out that worked really well back in
the day before i messed w/ myth (or owned an hdtv) ..

> On the other hand, I have a Radeon 9700 Pro in my desktop machine, and
> the ATI Linux drivers work flawlessly. The ATI drivers even came with a
> nice little program to setup your xorg.conf. It's a simple concept, and
> I can't understand why NVIDIA doesn't follow suit. It's somewhat of a
> pain to have to go through the FAQ to get the xorg.conf setup properly.

i don't really care about that, since i had to go thru the xorg.conf
file manually to get hdtv-out working the way i wanted to ... i actually
somewhat prefer nvidia's way of doing it, because i'm yet to figure out
what all the crap the ATI drivers put in the xorg.conf file mean :S
(yes, i'm a control-freak geek and want to know what all those settings
mean! :P)

-g-