[mythtv-users] nvidia card on a budget suggestions

Fedor Pikus fpikus at gmail.com
Tue May 31 17:58:22 UTC 2005

On 5/31/05, gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman) <glandix at lloydnet.org> wrote:
> i asked this a while back, but either didn't get many specific responses
> or i deleted them and can't remember what people suggested! :p
>
> anyway, i'm wanting to replace my ATI AIW 9600 non-pro in my myth
> frontend with a non-capture video card (i really want the AIW in my
> windows box, since parts of the card are going to waste currently) ...
> i'm def on a budget, so not looking into the highest, most cutting-edge
> nvidia cards, but i want something that will last me a while and is
> comparable to the Radeon 9600 ...
>
> i've got a transcoder already, so as long as it has a second vga-out,
> i'm fine ... however, if it's supported, i could always use a
> single-head vid card, since i've got my system's framebuffer support
> configured so it outputs 480p, so my hdtv works as a monitor ... but,
> i'm not sure if all the tv-related tweaks (hd timings, center mode
> stuff, etc) are all supported on a single-vga card ... i'm wanting to
> spend well under $100 ... anyone recommend any specific nvidia cards to
> check out?  not interested in gaming, so 3D performance means nothing to
> me, only movie quality

If you want "HD-out", i.e. component TV-out, your choices start with
GeForce 6200, which go for just over $100. Otherwise, there are many
Geforce 5700 or even 5200 with TV-out (SVideo and composite) and dual
DVI/VGA, like this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814121186

--
Fedor G Pikus (fpikus at gmail.com)