[mythtv-users] New MCE 2005 Remote

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at dev.intechnology.co.uk
Tue May 31 15:42:40 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-31 at 09:32 -0500, James Oltman wrote:
> I have that remote and I had a HUGE struggle with it.  I am using FC3
> on my FE and was using kernel 2.6.10-1.770 from ATRPMS.  The
> pre-packaged lirc from ATRPMs didn't include the necessary driver for
> the newer style MCE remotes.

Its not in the lirc tree at all (not in the CVS at all) so its
unsurprising that its not in the ATrpms package.

>   I had to find the corrent source code
> for the ONE driver and compile a version of lirc against my current
> kernel.

The kernel module for the newer version is at
  http://blatter.com/mceusb/

I see there is a new version there but that appears to be a mod to
support additional hardware.

At present the new and old drivers are significantly different, so the
only way they could both be supported in Lirc would be to have 2
differently named modules within the tree.

>   It semi-worked.  I came to find out that my motherboard/usb
> controller (ohci I believe) had an issue with that kernel.

On my hardware, with kernels up to 2.6.11-1.14 (FC3 distribution) I was
getting very intermittent hardware detection/module loading (ie one in
20 times).  I haven't yet tried it against the newer kernel version.

The way I handle this is to build just that kernel module and install it
manually.

	Nigel.