[mythtv-users] (slightly OT) Asus Pundit-R Service Problems

Blastzone blastzone at gmail.com
Tue May 31 14:15:22 UTC 2005

If you're thinking of buying an ASUS (esp. Pundit-R), this is for you:

I've been lurking on this list since I finally got the scratch
together to start my Myth project.
Asus Pundit-R, P4 2.5GHz, 512MB, 250GB SATA Maxtor, 2 PCHDtv 3000's &
a NEC DVD burner.

I started putting the system together and ran into the normal case
issues with trying to get the HD cards to fit (who designs these
systems, anyway?), but I liked the Pundit's form factor.  Once I got
FC3 installed and running, I tried to play a DVD through myth, only to
find it choppy.  Playing DVD's through xine outside of Myth was
choppy.

I dual-booted the system and went into Windows (a sacrilege, I know,
but it was useful).  DVD's still choppy.  I traced the issue down to
what I believe is a DMA controller problem.  The issue exists with
multiple different DVD or CD ROM drives.  The issue exists with or
without the HDD installed.  Live CD's such as Knoppix or Knoppmyth
(2.4 and 2.6 kernels) will not boot without the nodma flag.  (they
hang right after the enabling DMA message)  Windows 2000 also shows no
DMA on the CD / DVD drive, even if I force it to use a specific UDMA
or MWDMA mode.

Based on the issue existing with multiple HW / OS combinations, and
with the most recent BIOS image, this sounds like a pretty clear-cut
motherboard issue.  I called ASUS and they agreed.  I shipped the
system to them for warranty service (at my cost).  18 days later, it
just arrived with a note "no problem found."  I have yet to build the
system back up and plug the DVD drive into it, but if they have done
no work, I do not expect the system to run correctly.

I now face the prospect of calling ASUS again, trying to get a new
RMA, and being without the system for nearly another month while they
(hopefully) replace it.  Due to their service hours, I cannot speak to
a technician until at least 12p EST.

I am very frustrated with the support ASUS has given to date, finding
them unresponsive, and the technicians to be curt and unhelpful.  This
will likely be the ONLY ASUS product that I will ever purchase, and I
recommend others looking at their product to seriously consider other
manufacturers.  To be fair, I obtained a 2nd Pundit case for a friend
at the same time, and he has built it identically to mine, and
reported no issues with that system, so it appears I got a bad board.
I would still expect quick, professional support from any company that
I deal with, and I have yet to see that from ASUS.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me backchannel.