[mythtv-users] Possible help for those experiencing "blue screen" during playback

Michael J. Lynch mlynch at gcom.com
Tue May 31 14:06:28 UTC 2005

I use an old 733Mhz PIII machine with onboard Intel video as a
frontend.  The machine is loaded with FC2 and I build Myth for
it from CVS.  This past weekend I decided to do a "dist-upgrade"
on the machine just to get all of the system goop updated.

The upgrade downloaded and installed ~110 packages.  After a
reboot, I fired up myth and attempted to watch a recording.  All
I got was sound and a "blue screen".  So I tried to watch a video.
Mplayer fired up for a second or two then exited.  Then I
remembered before the upgrade, I was running version xorgs 6.8.0
version of X that I had compiled from source.

When I upgraded the machine, xorg version 6.7.0 of x was downloaded
and installed.  I re-compiled and installed version 6.8.0 and the
"blue screen" problem went away.

This problem does NOT occur with XFREE's distribution of X.  I hope
this information will be of some use to anyone experiencing the
"blue screen" problem.  There are lots of things that can cause
this but here is a solution to at least one of the problems.

--
Michael J. Lynch

What if the hokey pokey IS what it's all about -- author unknown