[mythtv-users] Re: [VERY OT] Pundit-R Celeron and memory choices

Steve Christall mythtv at mctubster.com
Tue May 31 12:50:06 UTC 2005

Mark Knecht wrote:

> Ah....so this processor still requires a fan?
>
> If so I'll look into getting something quiet.
>
> My goal here is a machine that can sit near a bed but people can
> sleep. Is the Pundit that quiet? For instance I cannot sleep near my
> laptop when it's running so it must be turned off every evening.

Mark,

I also have been looking for a v quite PC.  I just bought a second hard
Dell GX270 small desktop system and I am very surprised as to how quite
it is

It has 1x half height AGP + 2x PCI.

I am running a fanless FX5200 with DVI out and Soundblaster live to get
SPDIF out.

Both of the fans in it are radial fans, (not sure if this is the right
term) ie they are on their side.  The BIOS controls the CPU fan speed,
so under playback load it appears to stay quiet.  I have also got
suspend to disk working.  It can startup to Myth running in under 10
seconds from pushing the power button, from hibernation.

Very nice

Steve