[mythtv-users] EPG data from DVB(-T)

Stuart Morgan stuart at tase.co.uk
Tue May 31 11:42:13 UTC 2005

On Tue 31 May 2005 10:32, James Stembridge wrote:
> On 5/29/05, Stuart Morgan <stuart at tase.co.uk> wrote:
> > The radiotimes covers 14 days vs 7 days for the broadcast EPG. The
> > broadcast EPG also lacks ratings/reviews for films and category data.
> > Overall the program descriptions available from the Radiotimes xmltv
> > grabber are better too.
>
> I certainly seem to be getting category data from the ota epg in the uk.

When I used it I did get some category data but it was patchy and not
comprehensive. I will try again to see exactly what I get.

> As already mentioned the descriptions from the radiotimes grabber can
> actually be too long, they often don't fit on the screen.

That is a fair criticism. Often the descriptions available through the EPG are
just not good enough, for me anyway, but I don't like the Radiotimes
descriptions running off screen. The film descriptions (short reviews)
available from the Radiotimes are extremely important to me but useless on
the OSD. We can't really change the data available but having separate short
& long descriptions for each program would have been ideal. Long descriptions
for scheduling decisions etc and short descriptions for the OSD.
--
Stuart Morgan