[mythtv-users] DVB channels get changed in DB (Autopid?)

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Mon May 30 23:16:41 UTC 2005

On 5/30/05, Christian Hack <christianh at edmi.com.au> wrote:
> The channels in my DB (channel table) keep getting changed by the backend. I
> assume this is something to do with the Autopid feature I see mentioned in
> the logs.

This feature is to dynamically determine the audio and video pids,
instead of hardcoding them into the DB as was the case in older
versions (<0.17). They should remain quite constant though for the DVB
channels.

> Is there anyway to prevent this from happening? I have my channels set up
> the way I want them, and these changes leave fields like xmltv id blank and
> also include all the extra streams which are merely copies of the main
> stream. So I end up with 30 odd channels when really there's only about 8
> distinct ones (Brisbane, Australia).

Does this happen everytime the backend is started? It shouldn't happen
(At least it doesnt for me here in the UK) and once the correct DVB
settings are entered and channels successfully scanned, it shouldn't
keep finding new ones. A workaround may be to keep the extra channels
in the table, but mark them as hidden. This should hopefully ensure
that your settings are kept, and as the new channels still exist they
won't be overwritten.

> Also it would seem some dvb related tables are no longer used/required?
> dvb_pids seems to be unused.

The tables dvb_channel and dvb_pids are no longer used in myth
versions >= 0.17. A different mechanism is now used to tune into DVB
channels, based on the mplexid. These tables are OK to be left in the
DB, although I've deleted mine to reduce clutter.

Nick