[mythtv-users] Pundit-R - ATI or SiS

Marcel Janssen korgull at home.nl
Mon May 30 21:04:39 UTC 2005

On Monday 30 May 2005 22:52, Mark Knecht wrote:
> Hi,
>   NewEgg.com has two versions of the Pundit-R. One uses an ATI chipset
> so it's equivalent to the laptop I'm typing this on, but it costs $41
> more than one that uses a SiS chipset which is probably closer to my
> son's $199 desktop machine:
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Submit=Go&DEPA=0&type=&descri
>ption=Pundit-R
>
> Which unit are people using for MythTV? I run mythfrontend on my
> laptop so I'm reasonably comfortable with it's capabilities, but
> saving $41 seems like a good thing also. My son's machine doesn't run
> mythfrontend today so I have no idea how well that works.

I installed a Pundit-R (so with the ATI onboard VGA) for a friend of mine a
few weeks ago with FC3 and mythTV following Jarod's guide.
After some struggle with the ATI driver (compiled and patched from source)
everything worked (including TV-out).
It runs a PVR350 with the ivtv driver and mythtv-0.18 just fine. I only added
a simple soundcard to the machine because of the optical spdif on the front
of the Pundit-R instead of the back. The soundcard I used was a Terratec
Aureon PCI (<$25) and installation was very easy regarding the optical spdif
(just some mixer settings I believe).

Regards,
Marcel