[mythtv-users] Using Cut Points

Ross Campbell ross.campbell at gmail.com
Mon May 30 18:24:40 UTC 2005

On 5/30/05, Jason McLeod <anakin at sdf1.net> wrote:
> I'm using a PVR-150 card, so my video is already MPEG2.
>
> Is there a tool out there that will take my cut points and pass them
> to mpgsplit & mpgjoin to drop the cut sections out of the file to
> save space?
>
> Or do I have to transcode? I'm not big on the transcoding, I find a
> lot of quality loss, and seeing as my quality is not that good to
> start with, (scan lines and such) I'd rather avoid that option.

It sounds like your first problem is that you're not satisfied with
your recording quality, Have you changed the recording quality
options? These options can have significant impact on file size and
recording quality (so be careful to make small adjustments and test
things out)

You can adjust bitrate and max bitrate in TV Settings / Recording
Profiles for Live TV, Recorded TV, and for transcoding of various
formats.

You should be able to adjust these to match your preferences for
recording size / quality and use the built-in transcoding to cut
commericals and "compress" your recordings.

-Ross