[mythtv-users] Upgrading kernel & kmdls in one step

Garry Cook garrycook at gmail.com
Sat May 28 15:39:42 UTC 2005

On 5/28/05, Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm at atrpms.net> wrote:
> On Fri, May 27, 2005 at 11:23:56PM -0600, Garry Cook wrote:
> > I had a similar problem today. apt-get dist upgrade downgraded my
> > kernel. Very wierd, didn't think it was supposed to automagically
> > upgrade the kernel, let alone downgrade it. Either way, it did not
> > install any of the kernel modules (ivtv, alsa, lirc, etc.), so after a
> > reboot, the X server wouldn't start. Had to ssh in, at which point I
> > could have just booted the old kernel, but instead I upgraded (for
> > real this time) and installed the modules.
>
> Unfortunately none of the depsolvers is clever enough to upgrade the
> kernel and all the kmdls. You need some manual steps to persuade the
> depsolver to do so (see below). The reason apt downgraded your kernel
> is because you are running an older and now unsupported kernel
> (2.6.11-1.14_FC3?) and some kmdl was available in a newer version
> (probably alsa) but had no kernel counterpart in your system. So apt
> chose one randomly and randomly means by Murphy's law always the one
> you wouldn't apt want to choose ... ;)

Ok, that makes sense. Well, not really, but at least I understand what
happened now. You hit the nail on the head, I was indeed running
2.6.11-1.14_FC3, and ended up with a revision of 2.6.10.770.
I was under the impression that apt held back kernels and kmdls unless
you explicitly requested they be installed. Is it just kernels that
are held back, unless a new kmdl is available, in which case apt gives
you both?

--Garry