[mythtv-users] MythCenter GDM theme

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Sat May 28 08:06:24 UTC 2005

I use the MythCenter theme created by Jeroen Brosens. It really is a
beauty and you can get it at http://www.fotoniq.nl/projects/mythtv/.
At the risk of starting a flame war I think it's the nicest one I've
seen - even better than the one provided by LxMSuite which I don't
actually think is all that nice considering the noise made about it.
Having said that, good on 'em for doing it.

Anyway, for those of you that enjoy this theme and use GDM autologin,
I've created a GDM theme which mimics the MythCenter theme so when
it's going through it's 5 second minimum auto-login it wil have a
consistent look with MythTV. It's only a small contribution, but as
I've only taken and not given so far I thought I should at least
contribute something.

The tar file is available at
http://www.oaklands.aust.com/tv/MythtvCenter.tgz. These instructions
apply to Fedora Core. Directory names may be different on other
distros but the idea's the same.

1) Download it to /usr/share/gdm/themes/ and unzip and untar it:
# tar -zxvf ./MythtvCenter.tgz
This will create the theme files in a subdir called MythtvCenter.

2) Then edit /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf. You need to change the line that
sets GraphicalTheme to look like this:
GraphicalTheme=MythtvCenter

3) Restart X-Windows. On my machine I do that by changing the runlevel
to level 3 and then back to 5:
# telinit 3
# telinit 5

When X restarts the GDM autologin window should be in the new MythCenter theme.

Next step is to one day create a bootsplash based on this theme.

Regards,
Phill