[mythtv-users] Re: Stability of ATrpms

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Fri May 27 08:07:27 UTC 2005

On Thu, May 26, 2005 at 02:08:55PM -0700, Karsten Jeppesen wrote:
> Axel Thimm wrote:
> > On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 05:58:05PM -0700, Karsten Jeppesen wrote:
> > > Regarding your question about Axel (atrpms): In my opinion
> > > atrpms should be handled with care. If used incorrectly - it may
> > > blow up your system.
> >
> > Not if you use at-stable which is the default setting.

> > > So it is possible to paint yourself into a corner revision wise.
> > > My philosophy is: never use yum update while atrpms is
> > > active. Only download what you need.
> >
> > Then you are left with broken dependencies.
> Not necesarrily. You may just not have a working system.

Well, that's no comfort, is it? ;)

The packages are meant to be used in an ensemble, they are not meant
to be used selectively.

> As I described with the Alsa system. Axel it is not your fault. In
> fact it has nothing to to with you at all. It is inherent in the rpm
> structure.

No, I disagree. The error is in selectively using repos. ATrpms offers
libs and kmdls for alsa and other projects, as well as compatibility
packages for some of them (when the major lib version has bumbed).

As such ATrpms is designed to be fully compatible with the base system
and some other cooperating repos as well.

Once you start upgrading selectively with yum/smart etc. you are
creating compatibility issues. Please don't do that and more
importantly don't encourage others to do so! The bug reports hit
ATrpms, and are difficult to diagnose. :(

> > > An example is the Alsa system. If you use yum update the Alsa
> > > system will be useless afterwards. Simply because the FC3 rpms
> > > for Alsa are brainless. So you end up with atrpms Alsa system
> > > except for the alsalib which will remain the old one. DUH - they
> > > are not compatible.

As said, activate the *full* repo and this will not happen.

> > If you download selectively you are left with broken dependencies.
> > That kind of caution is just doing the damage you are trying to
> > avoid.
> >
> > Also using yum is known to munge your system. The recommended
> > depsolver is apt (and smart for x86_64/i386 multilib systems)
> >
> My experience says otherwise. Of course I only have a few thousand
> machines in 2 architectures: PPC and x86.

Please check yum @ bugzilla.redhat.com and @ fedora-list. yum is known
to be a trouble maker. E.g.

   https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2005-January/msg01826.html

OTOH yum is the only depsolver supported by RH (well up2date does not
really count).

> Axel, don't think I am chewing your butt. I am not.

So why am I sitting on my belly? ;)

> I use atrpms for a lot of things. probably 15% of my current setups
> are from atrpms. And that says a lot.

The advise to use a repo partially is just wrong, and it generates
more problems that it is supposed to solve. Will you pick up
supporting these poor souls that will have a broken alsa due to your
guidance?

Karsten, out of the thousand systems you have, just use one with
ATrpms activated normally and using apt-get. Your view of things may
drastically change. :)
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net