[mythtv-users] Key modifiers in lircrc

Ben Giddings bg-mythtv at infofiend.com
Thu May 26 22:52:45 UTC 2005

On Thursday 26 May 2005 17:16, Mike Isely wrote:
> What I ultimately discovered was not that Control-T was silently failing,
> but rather that MythTV was interpretting Control-T as just plain old "T".
> I hit upon this because during my futzing at one point I was on a page
> where "T" was active as a keypress and sure enough MythTV reacted as if I
> had hit "T" when I was trying to send Control-T.
>
> I worked around the problem by abandoning all use of control keys from
> lirc.  Unfortunately that left precious few available keystrokes but I
> managed to find enough to completely define the remote.

Yeah, I think the correct way of doing lirc stuff is that you put the
*commands* in the lircrc file, not the keys.  That's how mplayer and xine
seem to work.  For example, mplayer's "fast forward" command is:

begin
    prog = mplayer
    button = Forward
    config = seek +10
end

In other words, activate the 'seek' command with a '+10' parameter (go
forward 10 seconds).

In MythTV it's:

begin
    prog = mythtv
    button = Forward
    config = >
end

Where you have to then define '>' somewhere else.

I don't know why it was done the way it was in MythTV, maybe it's the easy
way, but I'd love it if someone would change the MythTV lirc stuff to be
more like mplayer, etc.

Ben