[mythtv-users] OT: RG-6 crimping question

BP lists at qucae.com
Thu May 26 01:51:02 UTC 2005

gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman) wrote:
> Kyle Rose wrote:
>

> i have a number of monster products (component cable, banana clips,
> digital audio coax, etc) ... one of the things i really like about their
> stuff is the "girth" of the cable ...

Lower gauge wires (thicker) offer less resistence.  This will lower the
load on your amplifier.  This allows for less distorted music and less
chance for clipping.  For longer wire runs, you want lower gauge to
offset the increased resistence from the increased length.  The premium
you pay for Monster is too much.  Plenty of good quality manufactures
for much less money.  I usually look for oxygen free copper wires.  14
gauge is probably sufficient for most uses.  If you have long runs or
high end equipment, you might want 12 or 10.

> i've also heard many people that are big into the high-end home theatre
> stuff bash Best Buy and Circuit City as places to purchase componants,
> cables, etc ... anyone know why?  is it because BB pushes Monster cables
> on anyone that comes in?  other reasons?  just curious! :)

I would avoid Best Buy.  They're big enough, they typically get custom
models.  I have seen some of the tvs they sell missing features that the
 same tv at another store has.  Yet the price is nearly the same.  They
also play tricks with the model numbers to advertise that they will beat
the price of any competitor (oddly, no one else carries the same model
number).  Just as an example, I purchased the high end model of my tv
from a small local chain for $400 less than Best Buy wanted for their
crippled version of the low end model of the same tv.