[mythtv-users] Hauppauge WINTV-PVR-500 for $127 shipped on Amazon

Rob Bongiovi rbongiovi at yahoo.com
Thu May 26 01:01:02 UTC 2005

I guess I got lucky, but I had almost no problems
getting the PVR-500MCE working. I'm using a Chaintech
7NJL6 Motherboard (which is NVIDIA nForce2  based). I
really got lucky, because I did almost no research on
this before I bought. Two other things that seem to
help:

I can't use the automatic load scripts for
mythbackend. Instead, I load it using Jarod's
~/.kde/Autostart/myth-load.sh just before I load the
frontend (see
http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/fcmyth.php#auto). I think
this may be some sort of driver loading issue (maybe
the one Jarod mentions in the liirc section here
http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/fcmyth.php#lirc?) and may
not even be related to the PVR-500MCE, but if I try it
the other way, all I get is static like the others.

And I had to add this to my modprobe.conf file (above
and beyond Jarod's instructions):
alias tveeprom tveeprom-ivtv
alias msp3400 msp3400-ivtv
alias tuner tuner-ivtv

(this was from this thread:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/ivtv/devel/20096?search_string=pvr-500;#20096)

I am a linux novice, so once I get this stuff working,
I stop messing with it.

Hope this helps!

Rob