[mythtv-users] Volume Change in MythTV

Karsten Jeppesen karsten at jeppesens.com
Wed May 25 21:02:01 UTC 2005

Jochen Kühner wrote:

> I can enter in MythTV Wich Volume control it sould change!
>

> Must I enter here The Alsa name or the oss name of the control?? Or is
> it the same???

Chocolate or Coffe? Well you forgot to tell if it is supposed to be cold
or hot.
You have to look into the setup of your machine. Is it set up with Alsa?
If not then the answer is obvious: You must use the /dev/dsp
If Alsa is supported by your machine, then (sigh) it depends on how Alsa
is set up.
Usually Alsa is set up to support the old OSS. You can see that by doing a:
lsmod | grep snd_
If you see snd_pcm_oss then Alsa is setup for OSS emulation. In that
case you can still use /dev/dsp
But you also have the choise to use Alsa directly, in which case you may
specify the Alsa device as
ALSA:<devicename>
Most likely they will NOT react identically as Alsa requires separate setup.

Karsten