[mythtv-users] IVTV not retaining settings on reboot?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed May 25 15:50:07 UTC 2005

A JM wrote:

>My backend is running 0.18 and has 2 pvr250's in it. I've initially
>set the ivtv settings using the following:
>
># /usr/bin/ivtvctl -u 0x3000
># /usr/bin/ivtvctl -p 6
># /usr/bin/ivtvctl -f width=720,height=480
>
># /usr/bin/ivtvctl -u 0x3000 -d /dev/video1
># /usr/bin/ivtvctl -p 6 -d /dev/video1
># /usr/bin/ivtvctl -f width=720,height=480  -d /dev/video1
>
>Then did a "MythSetup" added my 2 cards to inputs "/video0 s-video 0"
>and "/video1 s-video 0", do a "Mythfilldatabase", reboot and my cards
>need to have the ivtv settings restored for which input to use "#
>/usr/bin/ivtvctl -p 6" and "# /usr/bin/ivtvctl -p 6 -d /dev/video1"

Yes.  These settings are generally set on a per-recording basis--not on
a per-card basis.  This means you can use multiple inputs on the same
card at different times, you can record with different resolutions,
etc.  Myth takes care of setting these for you before it starts a
recording--assuming you've configured Myth correctly.  Although you can
have init scripts set initial settings on them, doing so doesn't really
make sense since they should really be set appropriately for each
recording (i.e. by the program you're using to make the recordings).

>after which I can capture some video with:
>
># cat /dev/video0 > /tmp/test_capture.mpg
># mplayer -vo xv /tmp/test_capture.mpg

But this won't be necessary once you have Myth configured.  You won't
ever need to capture from the command line.

>When I fire up "MythFrontEnd" I get the message "Mythtv is already
>using all available inputs for recording. ..."

As Patrick mentioned, if you had set some recordings in Myth, they
survive even through a reboot.  If you've never set Myth to do any
recordings, you probably have your card configured incorrectly.

http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-9.html#ss9.1

Mike