[mythtv-users] DVD rip preserving menus

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed May 25 01:55:00 UTC 2005

Kyle Rose wrote:

>>Actually, libdvdcss will generate new keys for the material off the copy
>>since you're copying everything (including Xing's unencrypted private
>>key and all the encrypted keys along with the encrypted content--you're
>>copying all the bits from the disc).  Remember in *nix, everything is a
>>file.  A DVD driver is a file.  A file into which the contents of a DVD
>>read from a DVD drive is a file.  Therefore, libdvdcss doesn't care
>>where the CSS-encrypted content exists.  If you want proof, delete your
>>~/.dvdcss directory and all its contents and play the DVD from the copy...
>>

>Really?  I have tried this in the past, and it didn't work.  Then again,
>I may be presuming this explanation for the behavior (read: talking out
>of my ass) due to some other problem with playing from files.

It's definitely true that media players tend to be very picky about
filename/URI's/MRI's used to play DVD content.  Also, it's possible that
you didn't get an exact copy of the disc.  But, fortunately, when you
read all the bytes off the disc, you get all the stuff you need...
There's no additional information on the disc that doesn't get copied
but that's required for libdvdcss.

Now, that being said, there are some "copyright protection" mechanisms
in use on audio CD's that prevent copying by breaking the CD
specification (by writing to illegal areas of the disc or something)--so
that computers get all bent out of shape, but "dumb" CD players ignore
the brokenness of the CD.  Some software CD's have errors on the CD that
get corrected during the process of copying, and the program checks for
the read error.  If the read error doesn't occur, the program exits.

TTBOMK, they haven't sunk that low with DVD's, yet.

Mike