[mythtv-users] Bottom-end MythTv Suggestions

Adam Pash adam.pash at gmail.com
Tue May 24 23:54:55 UTC 2005

Hi everyone,

I'm new to both mythtv and linux, but I'm hoping to tackle both. I'm hoping
to setup a system that I can use as an all-in-one (front-end + backend)
system. I've got an old pc (amd-k6 w/multimedia 300mhz, 288mb ram, pvr-150
[from my other computer], dvd-rom) and I don't know if I'm ready to tackle
all that would go into installing a linux distrubution and mythtv on a
system as old as this. I'm looking for suggestions for hardware (mobo,
processor, video card w/tv out) that I can throw together with the pvr-150
remaining salvagable parts and get a mythtv up and running in the most
simple fashion for a linux newbie.

I understand that this will probably be a somewhat large undertaking for
someone who doesn't know anything about linux, so I'm ready to put some time
into it; nonetheless, I figure that it'd be best to start out with the odd
in my favor when it comes to hardware. I've read the Fedora-Myth HOWTO, and
I think that's the route I'd like to take, but like I said, I'm looking for
suggestions for the cheapest hardware purchases that will still get me a
good system.

I'm hoping to use it mostly to record, transcode, and watch my video. I
don't need it for live tv watching, but that wouldn't hurt! I'm excited to
try the different offerings of mythtv, but those are my main NEEDS.

Thanks a lot for any suggestions,
Adam