[mythtv-users] DVD rip preserving menus

Kyle Rose krose+mythtv at krose.org
Tue May 24 21:15:43 UTC 2005

>> This was on the list a while back.
>> It will make a perfect copy to the HD of the entire DVD.
>> I found you need to open the DVD with xine first to unlock it and
>>then you can copy it.
>

>>  dd if=/dev/dvd of=/tmp/copy_of.iso bs=2048
>>  xine dvd:///tmp/copy_of.dvd/
>

> It works and it's brilliant. Is there a way to integrate this into the MythTV interface though?

In case you guys don't understand what's going on here, libdvdcss is
caching the results of the key search when you run it against the
original DVD; thus, it can use this when working against the dd'ed copy.

This means that if the cache gets erased, or libdvdcss changes its cache
format and can't use the old entries, you'll have to play every single
one of your source DVD's again in order to rebuild that cache before you
can access the dd'ed versions.  It also means you'll need to either
share the cache (${HOME}/.dvdcss in my setup) on every machine accessing
these files, or run xine against every DVD on every machine you'll be
watching dd'ed DVD's on.

Just a friendly FYI...

Kyle