[mythtv-users] Two MythVideo Questions

Garry Cook garrycook at gmail.com
Tue May 24 05:16:57 UTC 2005

On 5/23/05, Rob Bongiovi <rbongiovi at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I've been playing around with Mythvideo on my Fedora
> Core 3 MythTV 18.1 setup. I have two questions:
>
> 1. It takes a long (~12 hours) time to transcode a DVD
> to Excellent. I'd like the smaller files sizes because
> I'd like to store a lot of DVDs, but...at 12 hours a
> pop, it'll take forever! Is this a normal amount of
> time for this? I have a Athlon XP 2900+ with 512MB of
> memory.

I've never waited more than four hours. I tried it a few times and
after four hours or so I've cancelled it and ripped it in 'perfect'
format. So, I guess what you are seeing is probably normal, although
someone will correct me if I'm wrong about this.
I was not so much concerned about file size as having the DVD menus. I
thought that I had read a post that anything less than 'perfect' would
give you the menus. Can someone confirm if this is true? If so, and I
now know that I can expect a 12 hour transcode, I may just rip some
'excellent' DVDs before going to bed.
-- Garry