[mythtv-users] XvMC output not working

P Milazzo pgm0203 at comcast.net
Tue May 24 03:50:02 UTC 2005

>>> That's weird cause my frontend is an Athlon64 3000, 512megs, the
>>> videocard is a cheap 6200 PCI Express card and using the soundcard on
>>> the motherboard I can get by without XvMC. I'm running Centos 4 but
>>> that doesn't really matter much and I'm running a build of 2.6.12-rc3.
>>

>I'm running a variation of a 2.6.11 kernel, however I really doubt that
>would be the cause.  I'm using an audigy 2, so I would doubt that would
>be it either.  Hmm well I'm not sure what to think.

My XvMC is similarly intermittent. At first it consistently fails, then
suddenly starts working; at that point it will continue to work until I
terminate that particular X session. I also have an Athlon64-based
machine; I sense a pattern here. Perhaps a word-size difference is
causing an uninitialized field in the XvMC implementation or client
protocol exchange?

I tried enabling XvmcUsesTextures, but it had no effect.

FYI, my system (Athlon64 3500+, MSI K8N Neo Platinum, 1GB PC3200 RAM,
GeForce FX5200 AGP 8x) can display 1080i live TV in Myth with about 66%
CPU utilization using Xv, and about 33% CPU utilization using XvMC. I'm
running SuSE 9.2 with a 2.6.11.7 kernel and using the 1.0.7174 nVidia
driver.

    - Paul Milazzo