[mythtv-users] sound stops in the middle of 1080i (CBS) recording

Andrew Gallatin gallatin at cs.duke.edu
Mon May 23 14:02:57 UTC 2005

Byron Poland [wpoland at gmail.com] wrote:
> For the past couple of weeks I've been recording some shows off my
> local CBS affiliate in HD vi a air2pc, a hd3000 and firewire.  In all
> cases at somepoint during playback of the recording, I loose sound.
> Usually what happens, is playback freezes, exits, I restart, and skip
> ahead to where I was in the stream give or tak a few seconds, and the
> video plays fine, just no sound.

I had a similar problem a few months ago.  In my case, it was with
720p shows on FOX (which was quite weak in my area at the time).  The
reception "glitched", the picture recovered, but the sound never did.
I was told by a developer that:

  The PS Recording Mode is flawed in some way.. It is the
  default.. You can turn on TS recording mode, and the problems go
  away.. There are other problems with TS mode, but they appear to all
  be in the frontends poor handling of Transoport Streams, not in the
  actual file creation..

Are you recording in PS or TS mode?  I have not seen this happen again
since I switched to TS mode.

Drew