[mythtv-users] Random system freezes, xfs filesystem with 4k kernel stacks on FC3

Tim Berger tim.berger at gmail.com
Sat May 21 19:02:23 UTC 2005

For the last few months, my myth backend system was having random
lockups (unpingable), and only recently did I come to realize that it
was due to using xfs and the default FC3 kernel that uses 4k stacks.
I found this out by syslogging to another box and was lucky enough
that some syslog lines got logged immediately before a lockup.

The system crash frequency ranged from every other day to every 10
days or so.  I was all ready to blame ivtv and other kernel modules,
but I am very happy that it is something else that's easily avoidable.

Do a google search for CONFIG_4KSTACKS xfs.  This is apparently a
known problem.  As a workaround, rebuild your kernel to go back to 8k
stacks or use a different filesystem.

If anyone has more detail to add regarding this problem or other
comments, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

--
-Tim