[mythtv-users] stuttering playback with MythTV EPIA-M/networked

Michael Carland mcarland at bitsgonewild.net
Fri May 20 21:40:39 UTC 2005

On May 20, 2005, at 2:49 PM, Thomas Aeby wrote:

> Where do you get your mythtv debian binaries from? Well, I give
> home-brewing another chance if there is no "there" yell ...

I built my system from sarge debs, until I got to X. I started with
XFree, but wanted to try Xorg, so I built it from source so I could
mess around with the Unichrome driver. Once I did that, my Debian chops
where not up to fooling the package system that I had X installed, and
I ended up building everything that depends on X from scratch,
including Qt and Myth. I'm sure if I spent the time to figure out how
to get the package system to know about my custom built X, I would have
saved time in the end, and there may have been a way to build the
Unichrome driver without building an entire X tree from source. But I
was lazy. And impatient,

I started out with my M10K doing a net boot, and then threw in an old
laptop drive in my quest to get rid of stuttering. So now that I have
things working, it should be easier for me to test different setups
using new NFS roots. I'd like to rebuild my setup using more debs and
less custom compiling.

Good luck!

-Michael