[mythtv-users] Closed captioning support

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Fri May 20 20:22:28 UTC 2005

On Fri, May 20, 2005 at 10:22:29AM -0400, Ian Trider wrote:
> CC support does not entirely work in IVTV -- if it did, it would be
> irrelevant whether or not Myth supports it if you have a PVR-350
> because if you set IVTV to include the CC data in the MPEG datastream,
> and set the decoder part to pass it back out, you can enable CC on
> your TV and it will come through.
>
> However, as I said, it still doesn't quite work and you will just get
> a scrambled mess.
>
> I would say a PVR-350 is your best bet, when (if?) IVTV gets the
> closed captioning issues sorted out.

The quickest path, perhaps, but for me, I would want CC support
that for example, did not display during normal play but did display
at 3x and 5x FF speeds, or did other clever things like knowing about
letterbox or pillarbox bars and making use of them, or even an FF
mode that shrunk the display window down to make room to do a lot of
text on the screen at once.   A tool like that you really could watch
a show at 3x or 5x speed, at least the boring parts.

Of course, none of this code is written by anybody.  My point is that
just passing to the TV is great for the deaf, but there's a lot of
cool things that nobody has done with CC and subtitles for the
hearing.