[mythtv-users] Re: Re: Re: Re: VGA to Component on WEGA

Neil neil-on-mythtv at restricted.dyndns.org
Fri May 20 15:56:59 UTC 2005

>OK. I guess I could clarify that. *GOOD* S-vid isn't that much
>worse than component. Unfortunately, many of the cards with tvout have
>such sucky quality that it's unusable. The homebrew hardware I built to
>do s-vid from VGA gives results essentially the same as the component
>adapter... just modulated as NTSC. I have long since given up on TVOUT
>from video cards for quality reasons.

Hi Cory,

I totally disagree that component is worse than svideo. Below is the order
of quality from good to best:

1. composite(1 video and LR audio channels in RCA interface)
2. s-video (looks like a PS2)
3. rgbhv
4. component(YPbPr in RCA interface)
5. dvi

I think you really meant composite. It's true that s-vid is better than
composite. I really can't see any difference between 3, 4 and 5. Quality of
the 3 are awesome most especially in HDTV.

Here is a good reference:
http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Articles/VideoConnectors/VideoConnectors.asp

Thanks,

Neil