[mythtv-users] Re: Re: VGA to Component on WEGA

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Thu May 19 19:44:24 UTC 2005

>> 	The ATSC-480-60p is just a label... you can call it "CalvinBall"
>> for all that X cares about... just so long as you use the same label later
>> on when you define which you want to use.  If you like you can change it
>> to ATSC-480-60i in both places.
>
> Can I just this modeline with something like the Audio Authority Model
> 9A60 (VGA to component video adapter) and get respectable results?  What
> about overscan?  Are there any issues?

 	Most likely, yes.  There could be bi-level/tri-level sync issues
as previously mentioned, but I think that SDTV 480i is spec'd at bi-level.
I don't know how the 9A60 does his thing, but it should work.  The main
caveat is getting a video card that can do:
-interlaced output
-low-frequency output (480i is 1/2 VGA speed)

 	The later nvidias (440ish and up) seem to do interlacing.

> I have a similar TV set (stuck with 480i) as the original poster and
> didn't think I could do anything useful with respect to MythTV and the
> VGA output of my Myth frontend.
> old setup.

 	You can conceivably get the component to work, but it doesn't buy
you a whole lot for 480i.  Basically, you'll get potentially *slightly*
more luminance resolution.  The chroma is the real benefit to component
over s-vid.  That just means you can do more vivid colors, and have higher
spatial color resolution.  It's measurably better, but probably not
"WOW-factor" better.

-Cory